Pre-Travel Checklist (What to do before you leave home)
GENERAL HOME PREPARATION
- Water plants before leaving home or arrange for a neighbor to care for them while you're away.
- Unplug any appliances sensitive to power surges, such as computers, microwaves, and television sets.
- Dial your thermostat up or down to match the temperature of the season.
- Stop all home delivery services (mail, newspaper, milk, diapers, and so on) or arrange to have item picked up by a neighbor.
- Arrange for pet care at a kennel or in your home.
- Mow the lawn if necessary.
- Lock all windows and doors securely and remove any keys hidden outside the house.
- Tell neighbors that you'll be away and how they can reach you in an emergency.
- Turn on telephone answering machine. You may want to change the message on your answering machine at work to let your business contacts know you are out of town.
- Set lights and a radio on timers. Turn up the radio loud enough to be heard outside.
- Close blinds and curtains.
- Store food in your freezer to prevent running to the grocery store as soon as you return home.
- Remove perishable items from your refrigerator.
- Empty all waste baskets.
- Run the garbage disposal to eliminate the possibility of unpleasant odors.
- Wash the dishes. (You'll be sorry when you come back if you forget this!)
GETTING YOUR CAR READY
- Check your spare tire and jack to ensure they are both in working order.
- Check oil level, tire pressure, and coolant level.
- Fill windshield cleaner fluid bottle.
- Pack a first aid kit into the trunk.
- Schedule a medical check-up before the trip. Ask your doctor about necessary vaccinations, and have any medical procedures done before you go.
- Update any personal identification so that it contains current information and photograph.
- Pick up cash, change, and traveler's checks at the bank.
- Order your foreign currency from Bon Vivant Travel.
- Get a telephone calling card and take it with you.
- Fill out and send in your tax return form if you will be out of town at the deadline.
- Fill out an absentee voter form if you will be out of town at election time.
- Tell your friends where they can write to you at your vacation or out-of-town address.
- Pay the rent and other bills. If you'll be gone for an extended period of time, arrange for a friend or relative to pay the bills.
- Wash clothes that you're not packing so that you'll have a clean set of clothes at home when you return from your trip.
- Break in new shoes to prevent blisters.
- Make a "fun bag" for each child and include games, books, toys, a tape player with headphones, and snacks.
- Purchase postcard stamps and take with you.
- Print address labels of people to send postcards to. It's much lighter to carry a sheet of labels than your address book.
(back to top of page)
World Traveler's Packing List
- Cargo bag/suitcase
- Shoulder bag/daypack
- Luggage ID tags
- Personal/student ID and driver's license
- Wallet and cash
- Traveler's checks
- Passport, visa, and tourist card
- Money belt and passport carrier
- Credit and telephone cards
- Health insurance card
- Emergency contact information
- Address book
- Phrase books and guide books
- Rain gear or seasonal coat
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Dress shoes
- Athletic shoes
- Rubber thongs/slaps
- Seasonal hat
- Long underwear
- Pajamas or nightgown
- Bathrobe and slippers
- Soap and container
- Toilet paper
- Medicines and prescriptions
- Comb and brush
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss
- Lip balm and sun screen
- Small towel and washcloth
- Premoistened towelettes
- Hair spray/mousse
- Saline solution
- Extra pair of glasses/contacts and prescription
- Feminine hygiene products
- Make up
- Razor and blades
- Shaving cream
FOR CHILDREN AND INFANTS
- Diapers and diaper wipes
- Toys and books
- Bottles, brushes, and accessories
- Night light
OTHER USEFUL ITEMS
- Dried fruit & healthful snacks
- Books and magazines
- Playing cards
- Notebook and pen
- Stationery, envelopes, and stamps
- Business cards
- Inflatable pillow
- Emergency space blanket
- Pocket hammock
- Coat hangers
- Nylon cord/clothes line
- Laundry soap
- Flat rubber drain plug
- Scrub brush
- Voltage adapter and plug adapters
- Sheet bag for hostels
- Small flashlight
- Watch and alarm clock
- Video camera, camera, and film
- Travel iron or steamer
- Sewing kit with safety pins
- Safety pins
- Sealable plastic bags
- Rip-stop repair tape
- Combination lock
- Nylon duffel (folded)
- Small nylon bags
- Sleeping bag and pad
- Ground cloth
- Water bottle/canteen
- Fork and spoon
- Cook kit
- Stove and fuel
- Insect repellent
- Small first aid kit
- First aid booklet
- Blister kit
- Water purification tablets
- Water filter
- Pocket knife with tools
- Pocket sharpening stone
- Snake bite kit
- Hiking boots
ADDITIONAL TRAVEL GEAR
- Pet food and toys
- Laptop computer
- Portable printer and scanner
(back to top of page)